Thursday, December 20, 2007

American Oddity

Imagine you are sitting in Washington Square, or any mall in America, and these guys walked by:

You would most likely do a double take or at least give them a curious glance. Now flip the situation around, where everyone is dressed like that, and insert this guy:

(I may have over exaggerated my shirt a little) Most people on the street give me a second look or stare like I'm the first white boy they've ever seen. It's not a negative thing, they're not glaring, they are usually looking at me as if I might be lost or something. Like, imagine if Bill Gates and 2-Pac were walking through Harlem together, don't you think Bill would stand out just a little bit more?

A frequent thing that I am getting used to is people coming up and asking to take pictures with me. No, I'm actually not making this up! There must be some local celebrity that looks like me?? After the first few 2 times I started to make them take a picture with my camera too.

These two guys were from Bangladesh


He's from Syria (not good for my Department of Homeland Security record)

The following video is entirely real. I was not in "cahoots" (is that how you spell it?) with this man at all. While on the plane from Doha to Abu Dhabi, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that the guy next to me was staring at my book since take off. Not just a glance, but completely focused on what I was reading. So I pulled out my camera and video taped him...

I kept it short, but that video could have lasted well over an hour...

13 comments:

tgt said...

Chris: Today's post is too funny. Who cares about the Writer's strike? We don't need Letterman or Leno - we just need you!

PS: Well, I do miss Jon Stewart.

steve-o said...

That is what happens on a plane when you read a Playboy magazine.

LynnBee99 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

I'm laughing so hard my eyes are watering!! Have I told you before you crack me up? This is SO what I needed after 9 hours of retail work 5 days before Christmas (Is this ($5.00) ornament on sale? No? I'll think about it. Could you hold it for me? I'm just not quite sure. HERE! LET ME BUY IT FOR YOU SO YOU WILL LEAVE!) Were you reading the Koran? (I know you own it.)

Time for a drink. Thanks for the photos of you too. And Go Ducks! Aren't there very many Caucasians over there?

We've been there with the staring too. Imagine me walking through Pusan, Korea with you, Kelly & Lynn. They had NO clue what the hell to think. They constantly spoke to Kelly in Korean.

Love,
mom
xoxo

kathy w said...

Chris,

When the kids were little, everyone wanted to take a picture with us. We'd be at the zoo taking pictures of the animals (silly us) and people would come up and ask to take their picture with us. It makes me wonder how many photo albums or framed pictures there are in homes around the world with images of us!

It is a good thing, I think, to experience being a minority, and know what it's like to stand out just for the fact that you look different from everyone else.

Your posts are hilarious. Keep it up. I'm envious of all the experiences you're having.

woody said...

chris, aren't drugs illegal there?
Man what are smoke'n? Whatever it is don't stop.

Lynn said...

Remember how you used to be shorter than just about everyone. You seem to have that problem there. In fact you are the UAE giant.

Lynn said...

Clarifying.. You don't have that problem. And I will probably get crap from the grammer police. AKA MOM.

steve-o said...

... oh, I forgot to mention what hit me the funniest. In the beginning of your video clip I loved the facial and eyebrow movements. Classic !!

steve-o said...

Chris ... I'm thinking that you may need to restart your basketball career.

Mary Bence said...

Lynn....you mean "grammar"? Couldn't resist!! :)

Leslie said...

I think it's funny you are just noticing that people stare at you!

Joan Bence said...

Chris,

As usual my comments are much later than anyone else's but I was in Michigan and didn't check your site.

I was the white giant in Japan and I went out in public a lot. I got a job as a movie extra and remember one morning I had to get to the set early, way on the other side of Tokyo and had to travel to work on public transportation during rush house.

I was in "costume," that is because it was to be a nigth club scene, I was wearing a brocade dress. I stood on the subway crammed into a sea of little people. My white giant face, blond hair, and blue eyes were floating above a sea of black hair.