Sunday, December 16, 2007

Enough with the apples!!

I almost forgot to share this random story from Kuala Lumpur.

I can tell you first hand that Malaysians go the extra mile to make sure you get what you want. The introduction to this little story begins in the mall below the Petronas Towers (can you tell I’m slightly obsessed with that place). There is a huge selection of restaurants with everything you can possibly think of on the menu. It is a great place to try different foods from all parts of the world.

I was eating at one of the restaurant (Ok, it was a Pizza Hut - big whoop, leave me alone. I wanted Pizza, alright!), and I ordered some garlic bread as an appetizer. Within a few minutes, one of the 10+ waiters they had on staff brought me my bread. I start eating and before I finished the first piece I look up and there is another waiter at my table with a plate of garlic bread.

“Thank you, but I already got it” I told him. I continue eating, and about one minute later there is yet another waiter at my table with a plate of garlic bread.

“Already got it,” I tell him too. As he is leaving I noticed another waiter in the back of the restaurant with a plate of garlic bread in his hands. I kept my eye on him, because I knew exactly where he was going. Sure enough, he walked right past the waiter I just sent off and came straight for my table.

I gave up at that point and just took the damn bread. I wanted to ask him what took so long.
---------------------------

That story was a prerequisite for this story. Actually, this whole thing is just an excuse for me to photoshop a picture.

The second day in the hotel I came back to my room and had a plate of apples waiting in my room. I thought it was nice, but wasn’t hungry so I just left them there.

On the following day I came to the room to find not only the same plate I left from the previous day but another plate as well. This is when I started to wonder what the hell is going on in these peoples heads -- if I didn’t want the first 3 apples, why would I want these?

It is now the fourth day when I return to my room to find this:


I wasn’t even surprised anymore. But come on, people!!

This is what I can only assume happens when you stay in Malaysia for 2 weeks.


-----------------------------

One more thing from Malaysia. Directions can be misleading and confusing.

For example:

7 comments:

steve-o said...

Do you think it would be the same for me if I asked for a beer?

kathy w said...

You and your Dad are both too funny lah. (I was just remembering how when we lived in Malaysia, everyone threw in the odd "lah" for emphasis, or something. Like, "Eat your apples lah."

steve-o said...

Chris. You should love the first part of that sign ... "No Sharing".

Mary said...

Is that a photo of you not standing OR sitting? We know your feelings on sharing....

Love,
mom

woody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
woody said...

dude - you're losing it and you've only been gone a few weeks

Joan Bence said...

Hey Chris,

You've just become worthless as a grandchild. How can I brag about you when my friends' eyes glaze over after I've said only two words, "Abu Dhabi." Even I, the world traveler, can't describe what you are experiencing. And I'm on the edge of being too old to want to experience any of it with you. Well, maybe if the flight to get there is less than four hours.

So, what DO you do on the job? Bury your head in the sand looking for oil?

Grandma