Thursday, December 6, 2007

Kuala Lumpur

Petronas Towers at night

I've noticed a few things so far in Kuala Lumpur that caught my attention.

But first, I'd like to respond to some of the comments I received:

1. I was not worried about going to the home of these strangers because they were old and frail and completely nonthreatening. If anything, they should have been scared of me. As a matter of fact, I should have robbed them before I left. Damn!

2. I did ask how old the daughter was! When she mentioned meeting her daughter, I was envisioning some 40 year old! She was 25. Their son was no older than 30. Maybe they got married late, I don't know...

The first thing I wanted to share were some of the sounds of Kuala Lumpur. This first video is kind of hard to hear because it was windy and the mosque was far away. But I was in the park when the mid day call to prayer started. It was very cool to hear in that setting: (You have to turn the volume up to hear it over the wind)



Now you understand the setting: I'm standing in the middle of this beautiful park with skyscrapers all around me, while just 50 meters away prayer is starting. I was feeling a spiritual vibe...

And then I walked toward the Petronas towers, only a few hundred meters away (Gotta start getting used to the metric system), and I heard this:



I know... I was surprised too! Apparently the man in charge of music isn't aware that Mr. Ice is like 2 decades old.

Spiritual vibe: Gone.

One more interesting thing:

KFC owns a building!! I stared at this thing for a long time before it registered that I was actually looking at the colonels face on the side of a building!

That is all for now...

8 comments:

Mary Bence said...

So glad to get up this morning and see a new post to your blog! Wish you had time to post daily. Asia looks just a tad different from when I first stepped foot in Taiwan nearly 30 years ago.

Would love to hear about your job too!

Love,
mom
xoxo

Michelle said...

That is so funny that they were playing that song after the mid-day prayer....
love it!
cool pictures too, chris...

MISS YOU ALREADY!

steve-o said...

I was happy to see a new post as well. I agree with Mom ... I'd love to hear about the people you are with or the class. Eg, a group shot or a picture from the class environment.

kathy w said...

Not me, Chris. I couldn't care less about your job. I just want to see more funny pictures and hear funny stories.

Just kidding. I remember the calls to prayer from our years in Indonesia. It was really a nice sound except when they use really big, really bad sound systems with poor recordings instead of the actual muezzin (person who calls the faithful to prayer)in the minaret.

woody said...

Chris - I'm not kidding, the job is just a job, boring! keep the stories about dark alleys and shaddy charactors coming.

tgt said...

Chris - I just love your stories and your writing style! Can't wait to read about your next adventure.

Nausser said...

Chris, I concur with Mrs. Taylor. You have voice in your writing. Keep bloggin, I love it. So how's work? Do you get paid in gold nuggets or spices?

N.

LynnBee99 said...

I for one agree with Kathy, just the stories work for me.. Especially ones about you doing stupid things like going to strangers houses... but hey if you have learned your lesson, it's all that matters I suppose.