Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sweet Uncle Edo... That Bastard

Sunday, 11 AM: I’m in Kuala Lumpur at the base of the Petronas Towers.
I’m doing my tourist thing (taking hundreds of pictures of everything in sight), when I noticed this old lady dropped her camera. I picked it up and ran over to her. She and her husband were extremely grateful to get their camera back. We started talking and the woman tells me I’m a very handsome boy (“aww shucks”, I replied) and that she would like to introduce me to her daughter and feed me lunch.

-- Let me pause for a moment... I am on the first day of my trip to Abu Dhabi and I’m full of that “Carpe Diem” spirit. I want to meet everyone and learn as much as I possibly can. Plus, when someone offers you their daughter, you should at least check her out… Am I right men???? :)

So in order to fully Carpe Diem, I accepted their offer and we were off to their home to eat lunch. When we arrived, their son was home sitting on the couch smoking a cigarette. No daughter though, but they assured me she was on her way home. They were great hosts; she made shrimp, chicken, and rice and prepared tea and coffee. After eating, her husband (who asked me to call him Uncle Edo) asked me if I would like to play cards. I accepted and he led me through the kitchen to another room.

The room we were in was furnished with nothing but a table, 4 chairs, a deck of cards, and some poker chips. It was also the only room with air conditioning. A little odd, I thought to myself... He taught me a strange form of blackjack where the dealer is separate from the house. And not only did Uncle Edo teach me the rules, he showed me the system of how he and his son cheat. Uncle Edo is the dealer, their victim is the house, and his son sits across the table as the player. To summarize really quickly, Edo uses subtle hand signals to tell his son what the other player has and what the next card in the deck is. His son then hits or stands accordingly.

I thought it was a pretty clever system, but didn’t understand why they would bother perfecting it for a harmless game of blackjack -- Until there was a knock at the door. As he got up to answer it, Uncle Edo casually remarked to me “Whatever I say, just go along with it.”
A man in a nice suit came in and sat down in the "house" seat. Sweet Uncle Edo told him the sad “news” that I had lost $5,000 earlier playing blackjack with him and was done playing for the day... But my driver (Edo’s son) was going to play the last of my money for me. Holy Shit!!! The man nodded his head in acceptance, pulled the equivalent of US$2,000 out of his pocket and joined the game. Meanwhile, I’m sitting there quietly trying to figure out what the f*ck just happened!!!

After a few hands, “my driver” suggested that I play the next hand…

Pause again: I had just learned at the airport that Malaysia is a country where drug trafficking is a capital punishment. So I knew the punishment for gambling and fraud was surely nothing pretty.

At this point I started to think this whole thing was a set-up, that they were trying to catch me on camera playing just one hand and then blackmail me. I politely told them “f*ck no”, and then repeatedly told “my driver” that I was late and that we needed to go - he shrugged me off while they continued to play. After he ignored me too many times, I finally just got up and started to leave, upon which Edo’s son had to either come with me or blow their cover – where was I going to go without my driver?

After we both walked out the front door I apologized to Edo’s son because they were down $200 when I left, and surely really mad about it. He tried to bullshit me about how he needed me to pay him the money I lost them and how his poor cousin was in the hospital getting a C-section. I felt the urge to punch him in the face, but I just apologized again and kept walking. He gave up asking and just let me go.

And I never met the daughter. :(

I’m not sure whether the moral of this story is “Don’t judge a book by its cover”, or just to not trust anyone – even the elderly! But the latter moral sucks; the next time an old man asks me for a favor am I supposed to tell him to go to hell?? Hopefully the lesson is just “don’t be in the wrong place at the wrong time”, because there’s no way to avoid that!

I hope Day 2 is less eventful.

9 comments:

Mary Bence said...

OMG, Chris......How dare you post this when you damn well know your mother is going to read it, hop the next plane to Malaysia and smack you up side the head? The minute I read you went to someone's house, I about had a coronary. You are damn lucky. I am going to go with the "don't trust a damn soul...I don't care if they're even MY age" moral of the story, OK?

PS-Need I remind you? Don't do anything stupid! :)

Love,
mom
xoxo

steve-o said...

Let me tell you what your mother did when she was your age. She seems to have forgotten.

We just moved to Taiwan. We heard a lot about Hong Kong, and enticingly for your mom, the great shopping. But we hadn't saved enough to take a trip.

We were offered a deal which your mother agreed.

A Chinese friend of a fried said that he'd pay for round trip plane tickets and 3 nights at a 4-star hotel. All we had to do was stop at an apartment in Hong Kong on our way to the airport and pick up two suitcases to deliver to a Taipei address.

Your mother agreed.

We thoroughly inspected the two suitcases before going to the airport and it was mainly clothes, toys, and cameras.

It was a bit nerve wracking to go through Taiwan customs but we made it with only a minor incident.

I'd put that in the category of doing something stupid.

Stacy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy said...

Wise-up Chris no one ever said all old people were nice and innocent. You got balls kid.

Next time I suggest you think with the head on your shoulders!!

Although, after having lived abroad for a couple of years myself; an experience like this is never really fulfilled unless you can walk away with a few good stories.

kathy w said...

Ha ha. I can see where this blog could bring up some interesting stories from the past. . .

First of all, Chris, it sounds to me that as long as you continue to trust your instincts you will be fine. I was a little concerned when you thought that the 'old lady' might have a daughter of an age that you'd be interested in. . . but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because of jet lag and being rattled by the big gun in Singapore. And - you knew when to cut bait and run.

I love your succinct writing style. You convey the mood and the action without lots of unnecessary words.

I'm hooked. Breathlessly awaiting the next installment. (Look out, Terry, there's a new blog in town.)

Kyle_W said...

Haha! I think I'm going to enjoy reading this blog, Chris. Keep it up! Good luck, and have fun!
Kyle

woody said...

if you are after a little adventure you need to take some risks, trust your gut and don't be a dumb-ass. this space will be fun!

Micdel Mom said...

Ok, now I am having serious second thoughts about letting you marry my daughter, especially when you trot off with some stranger to meet another daughter. What will you teach my future grandchildren??? I'll cut you some slack this time, but I'm watching you.....

Unknown said...

I agree with your mom dude...what the fuck? Don't trust crazy old Asian men...even Mister Miagee had a motive....